Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Faking It 2

After my first post about teaching at least 2 people (probably half my readership) told me not to worry about teaching grammar because I have mad grammar skills. I mean yeah I do have good grammar skills, probably the best I know * when it comes to papers for school and formal business memos and e-mails. However, to those of you who believe that you or I have good enough grammar skills to teach English to foreigners, I ask you this:

What exactly is the past perfect continuous tense and how do you explain it clearly to someone who has a limited English vocabulary?

Now do you see why I’m a bit nervous about teaching grammar?

But seriously, I think it's going pretty well so far. I still don't have a book to work with for one of my groups and I'm not sure how much I've really taught anyone. Everyone seems happy though and I'm learning how to teach grammar little by little.




*I’m not really that cocky, I’m just being a geek and quoting a movie.

3 Comments:

At 2/01/2006 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Past perfect continuous is used in situations when describing multiple events in the past, some of which happened earlier than others. It's formed with two helper verbs and an -ing participle: had been (verb)-ing. Ex: "By the time I graduated college, I had been going for five years." I didn't recall the usage until I put together a sample sentence, I think most native English speakers know the tenses implicitly but probably couldn't name or describe them if asked. I usually know the construction and that's it.

 
At 2/02/2006 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh...yeah. Way to be totally pretentious for your first comment on my blog Mandrew.

 
At 2/07/2006 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

liz... email me... i lost your email... its cortney... i need info from you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home