Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Faking It


My life as a teacher has begun. I've taught two 1.5 hour classes this week, observed 4 more classes, and I have 3 more classes to teach before the week is through. Luckily since this is the first week back after the holiday break, no one expects too much. So as I frantically try to figure out how to actually teach someone something, the students are all just readjusting to speaking and thinking in English. The students I'll be dealing with range in level from lower intermediate to lower advanced and most of the want to learn "Business English".
I've got plenty of books at my disposal and a number of teachers that I can observe and talk to about how to actually teach. But so far, I still feel like a bit of an imposter. The guy who set most of this up for me keeps saying, "don't worry about it" and "you're a native speaker so you're offering them something that they wouldn't get anywhere else", and I keep thinking, "yeah, I'm offering them my bad grammar and spelling skills"
But they still seem to like me. So I guess the "faking it" is going pretty well so far. They don't realize that I will probably be learning just as much as they will from this experience. I take this as a good thing though, because I think it will keep me engaged. I've already learned that when the teacher is engaged the students will be too so I'm expecting this to all work out pretty well.
Tomorrow will be a new test. I will be sitting down with the very demanding boss lady who will not be satisfied if my insufficient grammar starts showing. I'm just waiting for someone to ask me if I'm actually a teacher, and tomorrow might be the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home